The cultural heritage of Saxony-Anhalt is fascinatingly diverse. In many places, the landscape is unmistakeably shaped by historical monuments. Numerous museums, collections and events connect its fascinating history to a contemporary culture that is no less compelling.
The cultural foundation Kulturstiftung Sachsen-Anhalt has the task of protecting, preserving and developing that valuable asset. Its staff, numbering 160 employees on average, work with great commitment to bring 1,200 years of history to life for you. The foundation unlocks the full cultural potential of 11 castles, 4 cathedrals, 1 collegiate church, 1 abbey, including the Moritzburg Art Museum in Halle an der Saale, and the world’s only gallery of works by Lyonel Feininger.
The old name “Foundation for the Cathedrals and Castles of Saxony-Anhalt” was no longer broad-reaching enough. As a result, since 2017 we have been known as KULTURSTIFTUNG SACHSEN-ANHALT – the Saxony-Anhalt Cultural Foundation – underlining the full range of our properties.
History of Kulturstiftung Sachsen-Anhalt
- 1996 Establishment of the jointly managed and run “Foundation for Castles and Gardens of the Region of Saxony-Anhalt” and the Cathedrals foundation.
- 2001 Trusteeship responsible for running the Berge Abbey and Marienstift Abbey foundations.
- 2005 Merger of the two legally independent state foundations – the “Foundation for Castles and Gardens” and the Cathedrals foundation – under the name "Foundation for the Cathedrals and Castles of Saxony-Anhalt". Began managing the legally independent Michaelstein Abbey foundation as a trusteeship.
- 2010 Administrative cooperation with the Saxony-Anhalt Foundation for the Moritzburg Art Museum; operations transferred fully in 2013.
- 2014 Management (as a trusteeship) of the dependent Saxony-Anhalt Foundation for the Moritzburg Art Museum and the dependent Michaelstein Abbey foundation's Saxony-Anhalt Music Academy and Institute of Performance Practice.
- 2017 Foundation for the Cathedrals and Castles of Saxony-Anhalt is renamed